Country Monitoring Reports
- Study on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Cameroon (Posted: March 30, 2009)
- State of Disabled People’s Rights in Kenya, 2007 (Posted: December 15, 2007)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of People with Disabilities in India (Posted: November 24, 2009)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Laws, Policies and Programs in India (Posted: May 21, 2009)
- Article 33: Disability Rights in Aotearoa New Zealand – Media Report (Posted: September 4, 2013)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Laws, Policies and Programs in New Zealand (Posted:May 1, 2012)
- Disability Rights in Aotearoa New Zealand (Posted: January 25, 2012)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities: Laws, Policies and Programs in the Philippines (Posted:May 21, 2009)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of People with Disabilities – Philippines Country Report (Posted: November 30, 2009)
Accessible Elections – Serbia:
- Accessible Elections: Participation of Persons With Disabilities in Political and Public Life – Serbia 2014
Bosnia & Herzegovina:
- Alternative Report on the Implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons With Disabilities in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Alternative Report on the Implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Posted:January 13, 2014)
- Holistic Report 2013: Monitor your rights. Monitoring of rights of persons with disabilities in Republic of Serbia
- Initial Report on the Implementation of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Posted: November 5, 2013)
- Inicijalni Izveštaj O Primeni Konvencije O Pravima Osoba Sa Invaliditetom (Posted: July 1, 2014)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Bolivia (Posted: November 20, 2009)
- Human Rights Monitoring in Persons With Disabilities, With an Emphasis on Psychosocial Disability in Colombia: a Comprehensive Analysis (Posted: August 26, 2014)
- Monitoring of Human Rights of Persons With Disabilities: A Comprehensive Analysis of Compliance and Breach of Fundamental Rights in Honduras (Posted: February 4, 2014)
- L’inclusion sociale des personnes en situation de handicap dans la wilaya d’Alger (Posted: January 26, 2015)
Women in the Middle East:
- Are We Moving Forward? Regional Study on the Rights of Women with Disabilities in the Middle East (Posted: January 26, 2015)
- Expanding the Circle: Monitoring the Human Rights of Indigenous, First Nations, Aboriginal, Inuit, and Metis People with Disabilities in Canada: Systemic Report (Posted: August 2016)
- Expanding the Circle: Monitoring the Human Rights of Indigenous, First Nations, Aboriginal, Inuit, and Metis People with Disabilities in Canada: Site Report (Posted: August 2016)
- Aboriginal People with Disabilities Know their Rights: Snap Shot (Posted: Sept. 2014)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of People with Disabilities in Canada – St. John’s Monitoring Site Report (Posted: January 16, 2013)
- Media Analysis Report 2013: Stories Have Consequences (Posted: August 31, 2012)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of People with Disabilities in Canada – Vancouver Monitoring Site Report (Posted: July 4, 2012)
- La vigie de l’exercice des droits humains des personnes ayant des incapacités de la région de Québec (Posted: May 17, 2012)
- Monitoring the Human Rights of People with Disabilities in the Quebec City Area – Summary Report (Posted: March 1, 2012)
DRPI in the News
- Dr. Marcia Rioux, co-founder and co-director of Disability Rights Promotion International (DRPI) appointed to the Order of Canada
- ENIL – European Network of Independent Living interviews Rados Keravica, DRPI’s Regional Officer, upon his nomination as a role model of young person with disabilities
- CNN’s John Vause talks with Rajive Raturi, Disability Rights Promotion International, on ways to help India’s poor and disabled
- Handi-Link interview with Marcia Rioux about DRPI on CJAM Radio (Posted: April 17, 2011)
- Launch of DRPI: New Project Promotes Human Rights Approach to Disability (Posted: September 30, 2004)
- Human Rights and Disability – Article in Amnesty International’s ‘The Wire’ (Posted: July 30, 2003)
- A Welcome Message from DRPI Co-Director Bengt Lindqvist (Posted: May 14, 2013)
- DRPI Regional Training Manual – A Guide to Disability Rights Monitoring (Posted: January 21, 2015)
- DRPI National Law and Policy Monitoring Template (Posted: April 30, 2012)
- Training Guide on International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) (Posted: June 11, 2010)
- Using DRPI’s Tools to Monitor the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (Posted: May 31, 2010)
- NVIVO Training Manual (Posted: March 5, 2016)
Additional DRPI Resources
View slides (PDF) from a Webinar about DRPI (October 2008)
- View the full Webinar presentation with audio (2008)
- DRPI Phase 1 Report: Opportunities, Methodologies and Training Resources for Disability Rights Monitoring (October 2003)
- DRPI The People’s Indicators: Evidence Based Participatory Indicators – Measuring Progressive Realization
Other Resources & Links
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities and its Optional Protocol was adopted on 13 December 2006 at the United Nations Headquarters in New York, and was opened for signature on 30 March 2007. There were 82 signatories to the Convention, 44 signatories to the Optional Protocol, and 1 ratification of the Convention. This is the highest number of signatories in history to a UN Convention on its opening day. It is the first comprehensive human rights treaty of the 21st century and is the first human rights convention to be open for signature by regional integration organizations. The Convention entered into force on May 3, 2008.
- Access the Full text of the CRPD and its optional protocol from the UN Enable site.
- Access the list of countries that have ratified the CRPD and its optional protocol.
- Access alternative formats of the CRPD and its optional protocol.
Disability Rights Organizations and Links
- Canadian Journal of Disability Studies.
- Center for the Human Rights of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry.
- Disability and Society.
- Disability Awareness in Action.
- Disability Law Lowdown (podcasts on Americans with Disabilities Act)
- Disability Rights International.
- Disabled Peoples’ International.
- ESCAP Decade for Disabled Persons.
- European Disability Forum (EDF)
- Global Applied Disability Research and Information Network (GLADNET)
- Handicap International.
- Include Everybody – Disability and the MDGs.
- Inclusion International.
- Inter-American Institute on Disability.
- International Association for the Scientific Study of Intellectual Disabilities
- International Disability Alliance.
- International Disability and Development Consortium.
- International Federation of Hard of Hearing People (IFHOH)
- ILO Equity Issues Group, Disability and Work.
- Mental Disability Rights International.
- Mind Freedom International (MFI)
- Mobility International USA (MIUSA)
- Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights – Human Rights and Disability.
- Ratify Now – Campaign for Ratification of CRPD.
- Red Latinoamericana de Organizaciones no Gubermentales de Personas con Discapacidaed y sus familias (RIADIS)
- Rehabilitation International.
- Secretariat of the Africa Decade of Persons with Disabilities.
- Survivor Corp.
- The World Bank and Disability.
- UN Enable (Division for Social Policy and Development: Focal Point on Disability)
- UN Policy on Web Accessibility.
- World Blind Union.
- World Deaf Information Resource Project.
- World Federation of the Deaf (WFD)
- World Federation of the Deafblind.
- World Health Organization Disability and Rehabilitation Team.
- World Health Organization’s Mental Health Improvements for Nations Development (MIND) project.
- World Network of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry.
- World Wide Web Consortium’s Web Accessibility Initiative.
Human Rights Organizations and Links
- Amnesty International.
- Asia Pacific Forum of National Human Rights Institutions.
- European Union – For Diversity, Against Discrimination.
- Human Rights Watch.
- Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa.
- International Center for Human Rights and Democratic Development.
- Minority Rights Group International.
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner of Human Rights.
Disability Law Links
- A Guide to Disability Rights Laws.
- Academic Network of European Disability Experts.
- Access to Justice for Persons with Communication Disabilities (ACCPC)
- Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Alliance (AODA)
- Advocacy Centre for the Elderly (ACE)
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Alberta Human Rights Commission.
- ARCH Disability Law Centre.
- Bazelon Centre for Mental Health Law.
- British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal.
- Canadian HIV / AIDS Legal Network.
- Canadian Human Rights Commission.
- Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
- Centre for Disability Law and Policy (CDLP)
- Commission on Mental and Physical Disability Law.
- DBTAC Southwest ADA Centre.
- Disability India Network.
- Disability Law 2.0.
- Disability Law and Policy e-Newsletter.
- Disability Law e-journal.
- Disability Law Lowdown.
- Disability Law News Blog.
- Disability Law Service.
- Disability Rights Advocates (DRA)
- Disability Rights Education and Defence Fund (DREDF)
- Disability Rights Fund.
- Disability Rights in Canada: a Virtual Museum.
- Law, Health Policy and Disability Center.
- Legal Frontiers.
- Global Disability Rights Library.
- Guide to Australian HIV Laws and Policies for Healthcare Professionals.
- Harvard Law School Project on Disability.
- Human Rights Tribunal Ontario.
- International and Comparative Disability Law Web Resources.
- International Centre for Bioethics, Culture and Disability.
- Manitoba Human Rights Commission.
- Mental Disability Advocacy Centre (MDAC)
- Mental Health Commission of Canada.
- National Council on Disability.
- National Disability Rights Network.
- New Brunswick Human Rights Commission.
- New Zealand Mental Health Commission.
- Newfoundland Human Rights Commission.
- Non-Discrimination in International Law: A Handbook for Practitioners.
- Nova Scotia Human Rights Commission.
- Office of Disability Issues.
- Oliver’s Blog – Mental Disability Advocacy Centre (MDAC)
- Ontario Human Rights commission.
- PEI Human Rights Commission.
- PsychRights: Law Project for Psychiatric Rights.
- Special Education Law Blog.
- UN Enable.
- What Sorts of People.