Regional Training in Kigali, Rwanda
From January 26 to February 02, 2011, Disability Rights Promotion International (DRPI) conducted a Regional Workshop on monitoring the human rights of Persons with Disabilities in Kigali, Rwanda, the regional center of DRPI in Africa. The workshop was hosted in partnership with the Fédération Nationale des Personnes Handicapées (FENAPH).
Representatives of organizations of persons with disabilities from five countries in the African region (Kenya, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania and Uganda) as well as representatives from five regional organizations of persons
with disabilities, national human rights institutions, university research institutes, the Secretariat of the African Decade of Persons with Disabilities (SADPD), the International Disability Alliance (IDA), and the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) participated in this workshop to develop capacity in monitoring the human rights situation of persons with disabilities and report on the information collected.
Participants at the workshop issued a Declaration for action on monitoring the rights of persons with disabilities.
Three individuals from each of the following organizations participated in the training:
- United Disabled Persons of Kenya (UDPK), Kenya
- Fédération Nationale des Personnes en situation de Handicap (FENAPH), Rwanda
- South African Disability Alliance (SADA), South Africa
- Tanzania Federation of Disabled Peoples’ Organizations (SHIVYAWATA), Tanzania
- National Union of Disabled Persons of Uganda (NUDIPU), Uganda
One person from each of the following organizations attended the Africa regional training:
- West African Federation of Persons with Disabilities (WAFOD)
- South African Federation of Persons with Disabilities (SAFOD)
- North African Federation of Persons with Disabilities (NAFOD)
- East African Federation of Persons with Disabilities (EAFOD)
- African Secretariat of the African Decade of Persons with Disabilities (SADPD)
- University of the Western Cape, Centre for Disability Law and Policy
- International Disability Alliance (IDA)
- World Network of Users and Survivors of Psychiatry (WNSUP)
Below is a list of project-specific trainings DRPI has implemented for people with disabilities on the monitoring of disability rights. Click on the project to read more about each training.