- Draft Programme
- Documents (CRPD PaperSmart Portal)
- List of side-events
- Civil Society Participation (Monday, 8 June: Civil Society Global Forum programme)
- Participation of National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs)
- Media participation
- Accessibility (Accessibility Centre at UNHQ and Accessibility Resources)
The Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities was adopted by the General Assembly by its resolution 61/106 of 13 December 2006. It came into force on 3 May 2008 upon the 20th ratification. Article 40 of the Convention stipulates that “The States Parties shall meet regularly in a Conference of States Parties in order to consider any matter with regard to the implementation of the present Convention.” Since 2008, seven sessions of the Conference of States Parties have been held at United Nations Headquarters, New York.
The 8th session will take place at the United Nations Headquarters from 9 to 11 June 2015. The theme of this year’s Conference is “Mainstreaming the rights of persons with disabilities in the post-2015 development agenda“.
States Parties and observers, including DPOs, are called upon to support and encourage the participation of young leaders in the Conference of States Parties.
President (elect): Republic of Korea
Vice-Presidents (elect): Brazil, Italy, Poland, and United Republic of Tanzania.
All documents including official documents, background papers, statements, etc., including those that are available in languages, available via the CRPD PaperSmart Portal
- Official documents
- Background documents (Advance unedited versions, only. Final versions forthcoming)
- Mainstreaming disability in reduction of poverty and inequality English, French,Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic (CRPD/CSP/2015/2)
- Improvement of disability data and statistics: Objectives and challenges English,French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic (CRPD/CSP/2015/3)
- Addressing the vulnerability and exclusion of persons with disabilities: the situation of women and girls, children’s right to education, disasters and humanitarian crisesEnglish, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Arabic(CRPD/CSP/2015/4)
- Statements (to be posted on CRPD PaperSmart Portal)
- Civil Society Global Forum programme, Monday, 8 June
- List of NGOs accredited to the Conference of States Parties
- NGOs in Consultative Status with the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Queries about CSO/DPO participation, please email us at: email@example.com
- See “Accessibility” below to help prepare for your participation
- NHRIs Accredited by the International Coordinating Committee of National Institutions for the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights (Accreditation status as of 23 May 2014)
- OHCHR and NHRIs
Media organizations wishing to attend or cover the Conference of States Parties have been advised to contact the United Nations Media Accreditation and Liaison Unit of the Department of Public Information (DPI). Accreditation is a requirement for all journalists who wish to cover activities at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
Accessibility Center at UN Headquarters
The Accessibility Centre at UN Headquarters provides equipment and services to delegates and NGO participants at the Conference. Devices can be borrowed by submitting a valid Photo ID and are for use on UN premises only. (Queries? AccessibilityCentre@un.org)”
The products and services available include:
- List of Devices available at the Accessibility Centre
- Wheelchair charging provisions at various locations around UN Headquarters
- Staffed desk to provide assistance on borrowing and using the devices
The Accessibility Center opens at 8:00 a.m. and devices are loaned daily on a first come, first served basis. Devices are in limited quantity and must be signed for and returned on the same day no later than 5:00 p.m.
(DISCLAIMER: The information below is provided for informational purposes only. This does not constitute endorsement of, or an approval by, the United Nations.)
- Accessibility / nycgo.com
- Official Accessibility Guide – NYC.gov (PDF)
- Accessible NYC
- Accessible Dispatch: Wheelchair-Accessible Taxi Service
- Accessible taxis (to be reserved in advance): Telephone: (646) 599-9999
Previous sessions of the Conference of States Parties
- Seventh session: 10 to 12 June 2014
- Sixth session: 17 to 19 July 2013
- Fifth session: 12 to 14 September 2012
- Fourth session: 7 to 9 September 2011
- Third session: 1 to 3 September 2010
- Second session: 2 to 4 September 2009
- First session: 31 October and 3 November 2008
SOURCE: UN Enable