There is an opening for a full-time position for Bangladesh Country Coordinator for Disability Rights Promotion International’s Asian Workplace Approach that Respects Equality (DRPI AWARE) project on employment in Dhaka.
DRPI is halfway through a five-year employment project, funded by Global Affairs Canada. This employment project will identify and address the key labour market causes of chronic unemployment, underemployment and poverty of women and men with disabilities in three urban areas in three countries: Bangladesh (Dhaka); India (Hyderabad); and Nepal (Kathmandu). DRPI’s International Coordination Centre is based at York University in Toronto, Canada. With the support and partnership of Bangladesh Protibandhi Kallyan Somity (BPKS), DRPI has established a Country Office for Bangladesh in Dhaka.
The DRPI project is guided by the belief that people with all types of disabilities and their representative organizations should be actively involved in all aspects of disability rights monitoring. The DRPI AWARE project will use a participatory holistic approach to identify the systemic barriers to employment faced by people with disabilities in the city of Dhaka. DRPI AWARE will influence systemic change, and develop inclusive employment strategies through partnerships with employers and clear identification of job seeker skills. The aim of this project will be to increase the opportunities and ability of people with disabilities to participate in the workforce. Further information may be found on the project website at http://drpi.research.yorku.ca/
The position will involve working under the direction of DRPI’s Co-Director and the project’s Principle Investigator (Marcia Rioux), DRPI’s Project Coordinator (Paula Hearn), and project partners located in Dhaka (BPKS), and other researchers. Job tasks include:
- Coordinate project activities in Dhaka in collaboration with DRPI’s project personnel and partners;
- Collaborate with the Bangladesh Country Representative – Work Placements, to carry out project activities such as initiating new relationships with employers, identify job openings, connect with disability organizations, identify job seekers and develop job skills profiles for job seekers with disabilities;
- Coordinate workshops and meetings, including the logistics of organizing the venue; participants, printing of materials, etc.;
- Promote a completed disability employment rights monitoring study;
- Prepare mid-year, annual narratives and financial reports, along with arranging other project logistics in collaboration with BPKS management in Dhaka;
- Work on targeted information campaigns including identifying good hiring practices by employers;
- Liaison with Country Coordinators in Nepal and India;
- Develop and foster partnerships between and among disability rights organizations, employers, employers’ associations, training institutes, and government officials in Dhaka;
- Raise awareness of disability employment rights activities taking place in Dhaka (by, for example, coordinating media campaigns, writing website content, presenting at meetings); and
- Other tasks, as required by DRPI’s Co-Director or their designate.
- Experience in project administration and coordinator, including writing reports, and financial administration;
- Experience in building working relationships and networking with employers, and employers’ associations,
- Ability to communicate and connect with disability organizations, government, and other stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Bengali;
- Evidence of understanding and recognition of disability as a human rights issue;
- Understanding of local labour market in Dhaka, and the employment barriers for persons with disabilities;
- Prior experience working in the field of Human Resources or business.
- Experience in organizing events, and workshops.
- Experience in contributing to effective communication strategies including newsletters, reports, videos, websites, etc;
- Willing to travel within Dhaka.
- Citizen or resident of Bangladesh.
- A university degree in the area of human resources, law, business, social sciences or other related discipline.
- Experience of disability and/or working with people with disabilities.
- Fluency in other languages spoken in India, Bangladesh, or Nepal is a strong asset.
Compensation will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate.
We encourage applications from persons with disabilities, women, ethnic minorities and other marginalized groups.
Applications will be accepted until January 19, 2017, or until a suitable candidate has been identified.
Please state “APPLICATION – BANGLADESH COUNTRY COORDINATOR” in the subject line of the email.
For further information about this posting, please contact:
Dr. Marcia Rioux
Disability Rights Promotion International (DRPI)
York University, 4700 Keele St., Suite 5021,TEL Building, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3, Canada
telephone: +1 416 736 2100 extension 20718
Download a Word version of the job posting here